With a foreword from acclaimed psychologist, Dr Elaine Aron, comes a timely and invaluable book that will help redefine masculinity and reveal how high sensitivity can enrich men’s lives, their communities, and the lives of those who love them.
Highly sensitive people think deeply, empathize instinctively, and behave in an ethical way that benefits everyone. Today, with the negative effects of ‘toxic masculinity’ and aggressive behaviour in evidence all around us, we need highly sensitive people – especially men – more than ever. Yet for men, being highly sensitive brings distinct challenges, such as gender stereotypes that portray them as too emotional or not ‘manly’ enough.
Cognitive behavioural psychotherapist Tom Falkenstein offers the first psychological guide that specifically addresses highly sensitive men and those who care about them, and explores the unique advantages and obstacles they face. Drawing from his training with pioneer in the field Dr. Elaine Aron, and his own ground-breaking work, Falkenstein incorporates the most up-to-date research on high sensitivity, how it relates to male identity, and provides one-of-a-kind advice and practical tools, including:
• Self-assessment tests to measure high sensitivity
• Strategies to cope with overstimulation and intense emotions
• Exercises that enhance relaxation, mindfulness, and acceptance
• Advice on self-care and self-compassion
• Techniques to deal with situations that highly sensitive people often find difficult
• Interviews with men who have learned to live well with high sensitivity
• Insights into the key role that highly sensitive men have to play in today’s world